Monday, August 11, 2008

Rock The Bells 08


WOW! What an event! It might have been better than 07. Between the tomfoolery, music, and people it was quite the show. Met up with M Dot and Mandy before the show. It was great to link with the DX/dopeboy crew. Lets get right into it.

First of all, we got there at 10am!! Me, Teddy Twayne, cinDy, Maria, and Carlos. Anywho first up was Wale (cuz Jay Elect showed up too late for his set, booooo). Wale wasn’t too much of a performer (but it was hotter than death), but I am a huge Wale fan, so I was excited and screaming lyrics. It surprised me that he did “breakdown” as it doesn’t seem many people are up on that song (although it’s featured on the new Madden). Next, Dead Prez set the stage ablaze. Going thru the normal songs of they set. It was still exciting to see the reaction they got for a SMALL crowd, at the time. They also convinced Teddy, since he said could have done without, he swiftly recanted. Everyone literally went dumb to Hip-Hop (arguably their biggest song). Next Supernatural and Scratch took the stage for the first time. Supernat did his usual freestyle bout whatever is thrown on stage/in my hand. And again as usual that shit was SUPERB. Some on the lines were easy and anyone could have called, but most were mind-boggling. Scratch!! His beatbox/turntable shit is ridiculous. Its not human I tell you. Next on the bill was MURS!!! I rep the west hard, so Murs is always a must see for me. He did some Felt shit, which I was excited to hear. Did some of the 9th joints, and a couple off of Murs for President. The most exciting part of his set is when he brought MUTHA FUCKIN DJ Quik out. I went went crazy (teddy went crazier). He performed Tonite. Then they both said see ya. Immortal Technique took the stage next. I’m not big on IT so I took a piss during his set and came back and saw 2 songs by him. Teddy was shocked and appalled at some of his “raw” lyrics. Funny sidenote chino xl was walking around like a sucka on stage during the IT set.

Now the show really got ill. Kid Capri got on stage and ripped a nice DJ mix. He is a REAL DJ, not some internet fag that screams over “exclusive” tracks. Shortly there after The God took the stage. RAKIM! Flawlessly spitting songs that have paved the way for EMCEE’s for over 2 decades. I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of people that knew the lyrics of most of his songs. Microphone Fiend set it off for me. Kid Capri kept it interesting with his shouts, and reciting of lyrics. The whole set was just so infectious and oozed the old school. I was I grew up in the 80’s… Next was De La Soul. 2nd best of the day imo. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE DE LA SOUL. It was exciting to see them. Pos was rocking the new ?uesto’s (I’m jealous). They made sure the crowd was involved from beginning to end. De La was rippin it, but they really got live when Mase jump off the turntables and grabbed the mic. The trio came alive. Amazing performance. After De La, I spotted Jay Electronica on stage (jerk). Anywho, Ghost and Rae were on next. They blazed it. They are great performers, but luckily they had great shit. Rae was super high and forgetting lyrics, but it looked like u tried to get the crowd to recite em (not). Ghost was pretty flawless, and they did plenty of 36 chambers. They had the audacity to tell us OBFCL2 was coming is February. Why lie to us like that. Daytona 500 made me go nuts. They held it down. Also I spotted 9th Wonder on the side of the stage. As well as Jamie Kennedy of all people lol. Oh, and when it was quiet I screamed “9th!” hit him with the peace, he hit me back. (yes I’m a fan boy and that made me excited).

Red and Meth were on next. Meth was super late so Red held it down. Then outta nowhere Meth runs on stage and gets it live. If you haven’t seen either of these 2, they give a hell of a performance. When they both came in the crowd it got nuts. At one point I helped Red on his feet (yes I’m a stanly and had to point that out). They set got cut short, but they fuckin served that shit. The special guest was on next. We were all guessing and we were all wrong. It was the Black Eyed Pea’s. Now I was left fuck this. BUT! Will.i.am said they would only do the songs from the 98’ LP ___ so I was like cool, no pop BS. They kept it cool. I wasn’t excited but I happy it wasn’t bad. Who can’t remember Joints & Jams? Then Supernat intro’d 9th Wonder who taking pics of ppl and the corwd. Then came The Pharcyde. Best part of they set was esily Fat Lip singing Bobby Brown’s My Prerogative. AWESOME. It was great to see a pioneering westcoast..HIPHOP group back together. I was elated when they did Ya Mama. I mean Runnin and Drop are dope as fuck, best I didn’t expect Ya Mama. Of course they faked leaving and then “encore” performed Passin Me By, which Power 106’s Big Boy called them back on stage for.

Next on tap was the Mighty Mos Def. I was geeked, but his set was the Most disappointing. Half of it was just playing music and halfway singing to it. He did do Travelin Man tho, which is arguably my fav Mos song. This is really all I will say about Black Dante. On deck, NAS! Last year nas did 4 songs and left this year, he got down. He did 3 or 4 Nigg..i mean joints from Untitled. About half of Illmatic!! OMG! He set it off. Hip-Hop is Dead, Got urself a gun, Nas is Like, ONE MIC! Dope. He definitely rocked that MF! All the pain in my legs went away during this set. He NY state of Mind, It Ain’t Hard to Tell, Life’s a Bitch, The world is yours…. C’mon man!! Fuck. Amazing. LASTLY and the best part of the day kicked off with Q-Tip, accompanied by Mos Def. He did his MF thing. He was super hype. Sucka Nigga, Breathe and Stop, Vivrant thing, Getting Up. DOPE!!! Then A TRIBE CALLED QUEST! Q-Tip, Phife Dawg, Ali Shaheed, and Jarobi! Wow. Buggin Out, Jazz(we got), Scenario, Find a Way, Bonita Applebum, Oh My God, Check the Rhime, Electric Relaxation, Award Tour!! Im sure I for got some, BUT FUCK! Man, that shit is indescribable. It was a dream come true to see them. I mean the other groups too, but this is ATCQ!!!

So concluded the festival, there will be a shorter part 2 for the tomfoolery

** pics coming soon, the PC here at work is acting up

No comments: